19 August 2023

WHY SHOULD YOU (YOUR TEAM) ATTEND FOOD HANDLERS TRAINING COURSE?

“Hi Boss, when there is FHC?
“Hi, please click on the link and find our latest schedule”
“ooo okok. How much is it?”
“It’s RM50/person”
“Boss can I ask…”

When I read these texts, I can roughly guess what next questions would be. Yeah! Occasionally I saw inquiries such as “Can I just pay for it (without attending the course)?”, “Can I ask somebody else to attend on behalf of me because I am busy BAHHHH..”, “Online izzit? Can I switch off the video during the class?” Well, frankly speaking, I was not really happy to answer these questions.  For me, those are words of disrespect to my profession.  

Over these years, sometimes I was trying to figure out why food handlers are reluctant to attend course. Through my observation, I received feedbacks such as food handlers busying on food business (no time), course duration is too long, food handlers do not like to attend training, do not know how to use ZOOM and google form due to aged or uneducated. Couple of years ago, I visited restaurants, cafeteria and food kiosks, giving leaflet to the food premise’s person-in-charge, trying to promote Food Handlers Training course.  There is a boss complained to me – “It is a waste of time to arrange staff to attend course because after they attend it and work for a while, they quit the job!” 


Well, I know most of us think that attending Food Handlers Training Course is to obtain the certificate in order to pass future inspection.  Yes. This is one of the purposes indeed. But, let’s think about your purpose of hiring employees. What is the purpose to hire food handlers in your food business? I bet the answers of all bosses are the same – to buy other people’s time to build your food business.  Business owners expect every food handler to handle the food efficiently and also in hygienic way so that business is sustainable and growing. In other word, business owners would like to “photocopy” many competent personnel to run the food business. 

Therefore, training is crucial to educate food handler to handle food correctly in order to avoid customers from food poisoning.  The 3-hours Food Handlers Training course would enlighten food handlers the correct food handling concepts and they could start practising them in the workplace.  When your food handlers are familiar with good food handling practice, they would automatically be taking care of the food hygiene and food safety, which would help smoothen your food business operation. Would you agree? 

Training is also giving a reminder for certain food handlers who might had known the right food handling practice.  I had student who had attended Food handlers Training course years ago. Some student attended the course at other school, some lost their certificate. They are willing to retake. I also ever trained student with old age. Although they do not know how to use ZOOM and google form, yet they still willing to attend online course. Some student seeks assistance of their family member, some insist to learn by themselves on how to access online learning. They asked many questions, feeling embarrassed.   I replied: “it’s OK aunty!” and replied all their questions patiently. I am also ever trained a student with dysaudia. Her spouse is assisting her diligently in the whole 3-hours class.  These students completed their training. When I announced that he training is over. They are so happy. For them, they are completing a task which they ever do in their life. I was touched by their spirit. And, I am proud of my carrier.

I met a competent food handler couple of days ago when I passed by a food truck near a hypermarket. He is promoting his company’s new food product. I was initially attracted by the new product launched by the well-known company.  So, I approached the truck and the food handler is about to prepare some food sample for pedestrian to test.    While waiting the food sample to be ready, I had a simple chit chat with the him. He is proud with his job. He wore head cover, face mask, gloves, and aprons while preparing the food. He said it is his company’s policy to make sure food safety, so they must wear correct attire while preparing food.  And the company arranged formal training to every food handler.  Seeing the food handler using a screener, I asked him how to wash the equipment, he is then explaining the washing procedure.  That is impressing me. Think about it, if the food handler does not go through proper training and practising it, would he answer the cleaning procedure? Certainly not! After a while, when the food is ready, he invited me to test the food as many as I could. I tasted it and it’s very yummy. I enjoy the clean food. That’s a very impressive experience I had. 

So, we should arrange our food handler team to attend food handlers training course. Let’s not think about complying the regulations first. Think about how customers can enjoy my food product in peace of mind and become my repeated customers.  I guess that’s every food business owner’s will.      
     


No comments:

Post a Comment