27 August 2026

WHY DO I INSIST ON CONDUCTING FACE-TO-FACE CLASSES?

The pandemic has been over for several years now. Occasionally, when I look back on my life and work during the pandemic, I still feel that it was a very special period. About a month after the country implemented the Movement Control Order (MCO), FSQ began allowing FHC schools to conduct online Food Handlers Training Courses.  At that time, I started learning how to use ZOOM and began using Google Forms more frequently. To comply with FSQ's requirements for online courses, I spent a lot of time studying and adjusting my course procedures. I not only had to become familiar with the technology, but also had to ensure that students followed the rules for online classes.

Some students were curious and interested in online learning, while others did not like this way of learning. Of course, there were also some students who wanted to “take it easy” in front of the camera.  However, during that special period, we did not have many choices.  Food Handlers Training Courses had to continue, and online classes became the main way of conducting the courses.  I also once received a final warning from FSQ because of some oversights in enforcing the requirements for online classes. My school even came close to being removed from the list.  At that time, all I could do was just carry on.

After several years of practice, I can now arrange and conduct every online class much more comfortably.  But gradually, I noticed something interesting.  Even students who live in the same city as me sometimes prefer to attend an online class rather than come to a face-to-face class.  I thought about this for quite some time. Eventually, I realised that online classes do have their advantages:

  1. There is no need to travel. Students can complete the three-hour course comfortably from home.
  2. Students from other areas can also attend.
  3. Class schedules are easier to arrange. As long as students know when they are available — morning, afternoon or evening — I can arrange a class accordingly.

To be honest, I like online classes too.  They are convenient and can also help reduce some of the costs of conducting a class. But I still insist on conducting face-to-face classes. Why?  The interaction in a Face-to-Face Classroom is different!  2 days ago, I conducted a face-to-face class at a training room provided by one of my customers.  During those three hours, everyone learned and interacted with one another.  In the classroom, I try my best to get students involved.  For example, I let them experienced what food handlers are expected to wear, ask questions for them to think about, encourage them to ask questions, and allow them to share their own work experiences with one another.  When explaining each food hygiene requirement, I also try my best to explain:  “Why do we have to do it this way?” Rather than simply telling them:  “Because the regulations say so.”.  I believe that when students understand the reason behind a particular practice, they are more likely to bring that knowledge back to their workplace.  This kind of classroom atmosphere, in my opinion, is difficult to fully copied in online class.

Online classes can sometimes have network problems. There may also be times when the trainer has to deal with students' devices, cameras, microphones and classroom discipline.  When the trainer has to deal with these issues at the same time, naturally there is less time available for interaction and discussion.  If a student happens to have an unstable internet connection, the three-hour learning experience can also become quite tiring.  I especially recommend Face-to-Face Classes for students who are not familiar with Online Tools

They are people who are not familiar with computers or online tools.  If someone rarely uses the internet on their phone and does not often use applications such as WhatsApp, Facebook or YouTube, asking them to independently register for an online class, fill in a Google Form, join ZOOM, turn on their camera, adjust their microphone and so on can indeed become a burden.  Unless they have a family member, colleague or friend beside them to help during the class.  Otherwise, before they even begin learning about food hygiene, they may already have spent a lot of energy trying to figure out “how to attend the class.”  That is not the learning experience we want.  In contrast, when students come to a face-to-face classroom, all they need to do is:  Show up, sit down and learn.  The rest can be handled by the trainer. This can actually be a much more comfortable way to learn.  When people are relaxed, they are more likely to concentrate and participate in classroom discussions.

There is another thing that I have always treasured.  A face-to-face classroom allows people to connect with one another.  About seven years ago, one of my customers voluntarily helped me find students and even arranged some hot drinks and bread.  After the class, everyone sat together, ate, drank and chatted while sharing their work experiences.  The atmosphere was wonderful. Unfortunately, this kind of interaction stopped when the COVID-19 pandemic began.  This March, I was fortunate enough to receive an opportunity to conduct training for about 60 employees.

In a classroom that could accommodate around 30 people, I designed some interactive activities so that everyone could get to know one another, interact and learn together.  After three hours, everyone had a great time.  For me, this is also an important part of face-to-face learning.

I have always believed that the purpose of learning is to increase knowledge and enable students to apply what they have learned in their workplace.  It is neither about learning how to use ZOOM nor is it simply about getting a certificate.  The real value of the Food Handlers Training Course is to help food handlers understand the importance of food hygiene and food safety, and to bring correct food handling practices back to their workplace.  That is the reason why I continue to insist on conducting face-to-face classes.

Online classes have their own value.  But if you are not familiar with online tools, prefer more interaction in the classroom, or simply enjoy learning face-to-face, I would honestly tell you:  A face-to-face class may be more suitable for you.

What do you think? Feel free to share your thoughts with me in the comments section.

Top of Form

 

Bottom of Form

 

No comments:

Post a Comment